Fire Arms Certificate

For those who wish to obtain a Firearms certificate so they can own their own guns, joining an NSRA affiliated shooting club is they best way to achieve this. The club operates under a section 11 (4) exemption certificate and as a probationary member you are allowed to use club rifles and purchase ammunition from the club to use on club premises. After serving a 6 month probationary membership you can apply for full membership of the club, and then if you wish, apply to the police for a firearms certificate. Members at the club can give advice on how to do this.

The police firearms licensing unit will contact the club to verify that you are a member and attend on a regular basis. For the club to be able to do this you must be a full member and attend rimfire sessions.

Two of the most important questions on the application form are…Why do you want to own a firearm and where are you going to use it?  Being an active target shooter at a recognised club generally provides a satisfactory answer to these, and the fact that you have been accepted as a full member after a probationary period shows you to be of good character.